Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Shack Out Back...


the shack out back
12x12 Oil on Canvas
©2011 DottieLeatherwood
NFS
This being the name of my artist's blog...I thought I should take a moment to clarify exactly what the "Shack Out Back" is.  Years ago when my children were 6, 4 and 2, my studio was in the house.  The room it was in functioned not only as my studio but as the back entrance (which we all know is the only entrance that anyone ever uses!) .  All manner of things ended up all over my workspace... backpacks, keys, lunchboxes,barbie doll clothes, action figures.....you get the idea.  It was a never-ending battle to find my paints underneath all of the "stuff" that everyone else in my family dropped off on their way in or out the door.  Sort of like working in Grand Central Station.  One day I reached my breaking point, and after throwing a hissy fit that would rival any that my children could ever throw, I grabbed my keys and left.  One hour later I was back home with the receipt in hand for a customized storage building. Construction began two days later and the rest is history.  I would love to say I came up with the name but I have to give credit to my friend Anne for that.  It is painted in the colors that remind me of the coast and surrounded by flower beds that bloom with wild abandon.  I planted my garden nearby and put in a small goldfish pond and so my little shack out back is just about perfect.

1 comment:

Theresa Paden said...

What an adorable little cottage!! I love the way you've painted it (both in the painting, and the turquoise color you painted the building itself!)