Tuesday, August 30, 2011

fist full of flowers .... SOLD

fist full of flowers
8" x 8" oil on panel
©2011 DottieLeatherwood
SOLD

The painting above should be called "learning curve" instead of  "fist full of flowers". 

At the start of anything new there is always a learning curve.  Sometimes the curve is just a small incline that barely qualifies as a curve.  Sometimes the curve is so steep that you aren't quite sure if it's a curve at all....more like a vertical line instead.

I had one of those steep curve experiences last week.  I took a three day painting workshop with one of my favorite people, not to mention brilliant painter, Andy Braitman. We worked on vignettes and layering and mediums and brushstrokes and knife strokes.... and all in a completely different order and manner than I  usually paint.  I felt as if I had taken up painting blindfolded, using my left hand instead of my right.  I scraped off as much paint as I put on and thought a couple of times about sneaking out and going home! 

But as I tell my kids, perseverance pays off and by the end of the workshop I was starting to see a glimmer of hope.  I felt like I was finally up and over the curve.  And for all the hours of frustration and confusion and occasional desperation, I learned a lot of cool ways to use paint.  Which  I'm guessing is what Andy had in mind all along.

No comments: