Friday, October 14, 2011

October Skies

Study:  october skies
6" x 6" Oil on Panel
©2011 DottieLeatherwood

It has been one of those weeks!  On Monday afternoon, as I looked at the week ahead, I thought I had big blocks of painting time stretched out in front of me.  Only a couple of blips on my calendar to work around.  I had visions of stacks of paintings completed by Friday.  As always, things don't often work out as planned.

Tuesday, I painted this study  of the marsh from my trip this past weekend.  A huge storm was sitting off the coast and the sky was filled with layers and layers of clouds. Some were racing across the sky, some seemed to never move and every once in a while, just out of nowhere the sun would appear and illuminate everything.  I liked the study and so I started on a larger canvas.  It was raining and I had the day ahead of me so I worked until I had it about three quarters done and put it on a ledge to finish the next day.  No sooner had I put it aside to dry, my dog bounded in the door to my studio to check out my progress and finding it good, shook rain and mud off himself and left again.  Let me just say, it is amazing how many small, perfectly round droplets of mud found their way on to my wet painting.

So, Wednesday found me working on other projects and waiting for the paint to set up enough so that I could scrape off at least a hundred small specks of mud.  Just as I started to work on my mud removal, my son's baseball practice was switched to a baseball game, which set all kinds of schedule changes into motion.  So here it is Friday and the painting that I thought was going to be posted on Wednesday is posted today...completed and "mudless".  :)

 october skies
12" x 24" oil on canvas
©2011 DottieLeatherwood

1 comment:

Giselle McMenamin said...

Ahh the trials and tribulations of being a mother and artist. I hear you well Dottie. his piece turned out lovely!