Monday, July 9, 2012

rusty bug needs love... SOLD

rustybug needs love
24" x 24" oil on canvas
©2012dottietleatherwood
SOLD

The title sounds like a classified ad, doesn't it?  My husband and I were driving through the country a couple of weeks ago.  Well, he was driving... I was snapping pictures through the window like a crazed paparazzi. It was very early in the morning, the sun was just rising and giving everything that wonderful golden glow.  Each run-down barn was better than the one before it and the fields all looked like paintings. 

 Then we passed the perfect southern roadside scene.....  rusted out cars in a field.  I'm not sure if this scene appears anywhere as often as it does in the south.  Southerners have a really hard time trying to part with something, even if it is completely useless. I mean, after all, you might not need it right now but down the road it might just be the thing.  

So we pass this shed out in a field with all kinds of cars in various stages of rust scattered about. They looked a bit like dinosaurs in the morning light.  Parked close to the shed was a VW bug. It still wore some of it's bright blue paint on the hood and doors but that was quickly giving way to shades of rusty red and orange.  I have always had a soft spot for these cars..... maybe I watched "Herbie the Love Bug"  too many times as a kid, but something about this little car really appealed to me.  It was cuddled up to the side of the shed as if it was trying to stay dry and protected...and the combination of all those shades of blue and orange was absolutely irresistible to me.  So I decided to preserve it the only way I know how.... through paint!  Don't you want to just go adopt it now? :)

3 comments:

martinealison said...

Comment ne pourrais-je pas adorer cette peinture ? Moi qui ai eu une coccinelle comme voiture il y a quelques années à présent! Cependant je l'ai tant aimée...
J'aime les couleurs formidables que vous lui avez attribuée. Elle est somptueuse et semble revivre malgré la rouille qui la rend belle, semblable aux rides d'une belle femme...
Très belle peinture, je vous félicite et vous dis merci...

Gros bisous.

mary maxam said...

Absolutely marvelous in it's dappled color and light! There is a blue VW Bug that I pass frequently and this inspires me to finally paint it!

Kathy Collins said...

IF this painting thing doesn't work out, you can always go into storytelling. Great post!!!! Great colors-I think you used them all!!!