Tuesday, August 21, 2012

ghost crab... SOLD

ghost crab
8" x 10" oil on panel
©2012dottietleatherwood
SOLD

I spent last week at the beach taking a break from painting and all the other stuff that goes with everyday life.  Although I didn't paint, I found myself looking at everything through "paint goggles".  Still, it was nice to savor all the moments just looking and absorbing and thinking through how I would capture what I saw when I got back to my easel. 

I did take tons of pictures on my daily walks and encountered this little guy early one morning.  I used to love to go ghost crabbing on the beach at night as a kid and my children enjoy it still.  Watching the crabs fly across the sand as if they aren't even touching the ground still amazes me.  I enjoyed capturing all of his subtle colors and translucent shell, not to mention that funny little expression on his face.

2 comments:

Kathy Cousart said...

Love Ghost Crab!! Wonderful character and very fun composition. Yay for you to have a good break at the beach! Sounds like you had the busy head with tons of amazing paintings to come. Love this first one!!

Heather said...

We went to Tybee and St. Simons Island a few weeks ago for a family vacation and it was incredible. We saw these cute little crabs all over the beach. Our boys had the best time. Great painting! I love it!