Monday, December 17, 2012

grace...

grace
12" x 16" oil on gallery wrapped canvas
©2012dottietleatherwood

I was thinking of so many things when I titled this painting.  The tragedy in Newtown, CT was all over the news and I just couldn't absorb any more of the awful news.  I wanted to lose myself for a bit and paint.  So I finished this painting of sunflowers.  They are such happy flowers.  Bright and cheerful.  I was thinking the whole time of Grace.  The graceful arc of the stems and nodding heads of the sunflowers.  But more than that, the grace that we need to get through the saddest of times and move on to try and make tomorrow a better day.  Leave the world a bit better than how we found it, somehow.  It seems so cliche to say but when it comes right down to it... that is what life is all about.  I didn't know any other way to do that on Friday than to paint.  May grace be with us all.

4 comments:

Kathy Cousart said...

Beautifully painted and written. I think we all need to just work our way through the sadness...and prayers for Grace for us all is a wonderful idea.

martinealison said...

Des tournesols qui me plaisent et qui plaisent au clown de ma publication...

Un très joli travail avec de belles nuances de couleurs.

Une pensée particulière pour les familles des victimes...

gros bisous et joyeuses fêtes.

hmuxo said...

A beautiful and emotional post, Dottie! and a lovely painting.

Roger Brown My Botswana Art said...

A great painting love the contrasting colors it makes it very vibrant.