Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Randy Higbee 6" Squared Show......

"blue skies" and "workday warrior"
©2012dottietleatherwood

The two paintings above were juried into this year's Randy Higbee 6" Squared Show in Costa Mesa, CA.  This is my second year entering this show and being accepted.   Last year I had one painting in the show and this year two.  I can't tell you how exciting that is for me.  This show, although the paintings are small, has some very BIG name artists in it every year.  It is such an honor and privilege to be hanging on the same wall!  Not only that but over 700 works were turned down for this show so there was some pretty stiff competition.  

I decided this year, I would continue my series of landscape vignettes for my entries.  It was not as easy as I'd hoped.  I have been painting this series on a much larger scale.  Two and three and four foot canvases.  Translating the idea to a 6" x 6" canvas proved much more difficult.  I wanted to still capture the same sense of light and color and pattern that I had been working on in the larger canvases.  More than a few tries went sailing across the studio in frustration :) !! However, be it good or bad, I am not someone who gives up easily and I am really happy with the way these two turned out.  

The show is up at the gallery and the reception will be this Saturday, December 8th.  I wish I could fly to California for the opening but I am content that my paintings will be there representing me.  And for the first time this year, Randy Higbee has set up a webpage with all of the paintings in the show for those that would like to purchase over the internet.  Please take a few minutes and look at all of the wonderful paintings.  Here is the link:  6" Squared Show  They are truly beautiful gems!


1 comment:

hmuxo said...

Congratulations, Dottie!!! Wonderful news! Thank you for sharing these paintings with us...they're wonderful...I will go back and see them again..I don't want to miss any of them!!!