Wednesday, January 2, 2013

And so it begins...

The 30 Paintings in 30 Day Challenge that is!  I am excited to join my friend and artist Leslie Saeta and over two hundred artists from around the world in this challenge for the month of January.  The 30 days in a row wasn't that big of a hurdle for me.  I paint almost every day.   I may not produce a painting everyday because I tend to usually paint large canvases.    Most days, I paint about 6 hours.  Sometimes not consecutively because my time in the studio is woven in and around my life as a mother.  But I find it necessary, at least for me, to paint everyday.  I want to and I need to.   So this challenge for me was about trying something a little different from what I normally do and coming up with a cohesive group of 30 paintings.  I am excited about my theme!  Here's what I have come up with:
 PAPER
 I decided to paint on paper.  I paint in oils and have been wanting to try out the new paper by Arches.  I have painted on paper before but this paper doesn't require any preparation... no gesso!! Sounded too good to be true.  It is sold in pads or in large sheets.  As you can see in the pictures above I chose the large sheets and tore my pieces so that all my paintings would be roughly the same size.
MY THEME
So as you can see, I taped the sheets to my drawing board with painters tape because I wanted to leave a clean white border around each painting. The second picture is of my rough in and in the third you can see I am starting to lay in some color.

For my theme, I decided to paint streetscapes. I love painting shapes and patterns and this subject matter is full of both of those.  I also wanted to focus on a loose, dreamy feel.  I had read a while back about a group of painters using google maps to paint from and thought what a cool idea that would be.  So I will be traveling in January to different cities and morphing myself into that little yellow person you drag onto the google maps painting on the street corner.  And the added bonus is that most of the map pictures were taken in the summer so it'll help chase away the winter blues!  So here is my first completed painting...... pardon the glare in places from the wet paint!

Charlotte streetscape
6.5" x 9" oil on paper
©2013dottietleatherwood
$100

So stay tuned for tomorrow.... maybe Charlotte or maybe some place new!And Happy New Year!

14 comments:

Roger Brown My Botswana Art said...

Great painting and look forward to seeing your daily paintings,great idea traveling and painting through Google street view.

SYLVIANE said...

A beautiful painting, I like your style!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Fantastic first painting for the challenge. I am looking forward to seeing more!

hmuxo said...

Beautiful work!!!

Karen Johnston Daily Paintings said...

Love this Dottie...what a great idea! I can't wait to see where you are going to take us traveling!
Great start!!!

Jerry Stocks said...

Love Charlotte streetscape. The colors are dreamy.

Maria Randolph said...

Dottie, I love the painting! It has such a wonderful mood and movement. I also joined the challenge. It should be fun.

Laurie G. Miller said...

Dottie,

I also chose to paint on paper for the challenge so that is really funny! However, I had to put on 3 coats of gesso to start so you were definitely smarter than me. I'm really loving the smooth surface.

Happy Painting!

Best, Laurie

Fay Terry said...

Hi Dottie, I love your streetscape. We were in Charlotte on Sunday visiting our son and his wife and our sweet grandbaby. Have fun with the challenge. I love it already.

Brodie Cook said...

Looks beautiful Dottie! I'm excited to see where you're headed with this. :)

Bennett Hock said...

a great start!!! what a fun challenge!!!

Connie said...

I'm so impressed that you paint for 6 hours everyday. No wonder you are such a fine painter!!

Melissa Adams said...

I love this! I love the way you tore the paper and the way you taped the edges, leaving a white border around it - it's beautiful!

Sherri Cassell said...

Great painting! and I love how organized you are. I am also doing this challenge and am looking forward to seeing what we all will create next. Happy Painting!