Thursday, January 31, 2013

DAY 30!!! ...art's well that ends well


Lessons Learned from 30 Paintings in 30 Days:

*  I did enjoy the theme of "streetscapes" I picked and had fun deciding what and where to paint.  Not sure if I would have stayed with it for a month if it hadn't been for the challenge but the number and variation of paintings I could have painted within this theme was endless.  I feel I only touched the tip of the iceberg and I want to explore it further but in a bigger size which leads me to my second point...

* I don't enjoy painting small.  I picked a size, 6" x 9", for this because I wanted the paintings to have a consistent feel to them when I was done.  I also knew that in order to have a painting finished each day I needed to have a manageable size.  I usually paint much larger and I have really missed that this month! I didn't feel like I had the freedom to explore the subject the way I wanted to sometimes in the smaller paintings.

* I learned I am not up to posting a blog and a painting everyday. I do paint everyday but sometimes my painting isn't finished.  I don't want to post something that isn't done.  It's a lot of pressure to produce a painting a day!  Not to mention sometimes I just had trouble thinking of something interesting to say!! 

*  I enjoyed using this as an opportunity to try painting on paper.  I will use it again in the future.  If you are interested in trying it, I used Arches Oil Paper for all of my paintings.

* My most successful paintings (in my opinion) had a color scheme of just two main colors with a third thrown in for an accent.

*   My goal for these was to be really loose and focus on shapes and edges.  As I look back over my paintings I can see several paintings here and there where I tightened up too much.  I had to keep refocusing on my goal.  I learned it is harder to break habits than you would think!

*  I have the best friends!  Thank you so much for all the wonderful comments and likes and keeping me going this month.  Your expectation and excitement and interest in my paintings and where I was headed next were just what I needed to keep plugging on those days when the muse was on vacation.  I couldn't have done it without you!!


So here is my final painting of the series:

art's well that ends well 
6.5" x 9" oil on paper
©2013dottietleatherwood
$100

This spot in uptown Charlotte is actually home to several art galleries and I thought it would be cool to end my painting trip here.  I hope you enjoyed this series of work and keep in mind these paintings are for sale.  I will offer free shipping on them for the month of February so if one of them spoke to you, here is the link to my website http://dottietleatherwood.com . Thanks so much for coming along on my journey :)

3 comments:

Stephanie Berry said...

Congratulations Dottie! What an accomplishment! And to end with such a wonderful cityscape--kudos!!

hmuxo said...

Congratulations Dottie!!!! you did it....and I love your final painting..!

Susan said...

Love cities and that you painted the street going uphill. Fun seeing you paintings in this 30 day challenge.
Great work.