Thursday, August 15, 2013

"sunset over cockspur" and "To Blog or Not To Blog"

And here you go....the second blog in a week's time!!! Amazed? You should be, due to my sporadic blog posts this year.  If it hadn't been for the "30 Paintings in 30 Days" back in January my numbers would look SO much worse!  It has been a strange year for me, so I am giving myself a pass....of sorts.  The truth of the matter is, blogging is on my "to-do" list, like a lot of other things.  And I haven't made time "to-do" it!  

Several times a year I co-host a blogtalk radio show with my friend Leslie Saeta called Artists Helping Artists .  The topic today is "To Blog or Not To Blog".  It is something that I have been struggling with, because I already devote so much marketing time to social media, I have often wondered if blogging was worth the extra time.  I'm not going to lie to you, while doing the research for the show, I was hoping I was going to find that out.  But without giving too much away, I found out exactly the opposite.  I hope if you are an artist, you will listen to the show today and hear what we have to say.....it convinced me to recommit myself to a better blogging schedule!  Here is a link to the show if you want to listen:  "To Blog or Not To Blog"  .

Enough preaching.  Here is a painting that brings me home whenever I look at it.  And so much of what I paint is memories or places and feelings that I want to preserve and the physical act of putting brush to canvas does that for me.  This little lighthouse is off the coast of Tybee Island in Georgia.  In fact you see it as you go over the bridge to the island.  At low tide you can see the rocks and the little bit of land it is built on, but at high tide the water is lapping at the base of it.  It always reminds me to stand strong.  The lighthouse dates back to the early 1800's and much has been done to shore it up and restore it.  If you'd like to read more about it here are a couple of links:
http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=324
 http://tybeeisland.com/place/cockspur-lighthouse/

"sunset over cockspur"
12" x 12" oil on gallery wrapped canvas
©2013dottietleatherwood

5 comments:

Kathy Cousart said...

Great show...know you did a lot of research- we are always learning! And your preaching was good! Love the painting and you been standing strong a lot lately girl...wonderful job on it ALL!

Jerry Stocks said...

Love seeing a painting of a local scene. The softness of it is so well done.

hmuxo said...

Beautifully painted, Dottie! Love it!!

Annie - said...

STUNNING! FANTABULOUS! :D
Really love the Artist Helping Artists Radio show today! I am going to figure out some sort of prize to give away :-) THANKS for all that you do! Hugs,

Cindy Williams said...

Great show today about blogging. At the first of the month I decided to try and post every day for the month the see if I can do it, and even though it's only the middle of the month, I am on target, I'm happy about that! Even though in the past it may have been 1 or 2 or 0 posts in a month. I am trying to do better and listening to AHA has helped me. Dottie, I am glad to find you through the show, like I have found loads of other artists, I love your work :)