Sunday, September 1, 2013

"30 Days Hath September" ....the beginning

September is here! And my "30 Days Hath September" challenge has begun.  I did this same challenge with my friend, Leslie Saeta many other artists in January.  I chose a theme and painted small works on paper and although I had some frustrating days here and there, I enjoyed the challenge.  But I decided to make some changes.....

When I decided to do this again, I thought about what I wanted to do different. 
*  This time I am not limiting myself to a size.  I don't enjoy working small, so I will paint some larger works here and there. 
*  My subject matter will also vary but it will have a common thread.  I have had a lot of commissions and work for shows that I have been painting since early spring.  I have enjoyed it all but have been itching to paint from some of the sketches and photographs that I have taken on trips in the past.  So I am treating myself in September and painting what I want to paint.  I hope you will find it interesting to see what catches my eye.  
*  In the last challenge I started painting on January 1st so I didn't post my first painting till January 2nd.  But I promised you a painting each and everyday of September so I am starting today. 
*  And finally, the prices of the paintings in this challenge will be lower for the month of September!  They will be 20% less on my website and will go up to my normal prices in October.  The discounted price is on my website so you don't have to figure it out. So for example, this painting that would normally be $220 is $176 for September.  

My painting for September 1st is of a beach cottage.  Fitting, I guess since this is the last "official" weekend of summer for a lot of people.  I was lucky, in that I grew up minutes from the beach.  It was the next island over from my house.  I still go back often ... although not often enough!  One of my favorite things about Tybee Island, GA is all of the old beach cottages that date back to the early to mid 1900's.  Classic little beach bungalows. Every time I am in town I take pictures and sketch them.  I have many more than I can paint but you never know....one day I might get to them all!

"early morning colors"
9" x 12" oil on gallery wrapped canvas
©2013dottietleatherwood

I painted this in August but put it back on the easel yesterday and made some changes.  Simplified some shapes.  Hope the charm of this little cottage comes through in this painting.  Have a wonderful day!  I will be painting today.....stay tuned!

6 comments:

Cindy Williams said...

I love this painting Dottie, as usual :) yes I joined the challenge, I can't wait to see all the wonderful art from the over 300 artists!

Kathy Cousart said...

Wonderful painting and you did capture the charm! Yay for you on the 30/30...going to be fun!

hmuxo said...

A lovely cottage, Dottie. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's challenge...

Randy Blasquez said...

A beauty!

Terri Buchholz said...

What a wonderful subject! I was in that area (Hilton Head) for the first time a couple of years ago and we spent a lot of time exploring the surrounding areas. Your painting captures the charm!

Karen Johnston Daily Paintings said...

Lovely Dottie...nice light! Can't be in the challenge this time but looking forward to checking out all the wonderful paintings this month!!