Wednesday, September 4, 2013

"bridging the gulf" ..."30 Days Hath September"

We are 4 days into this challenge and I am loving it! I go out to the studio excited about what I am working on every day. This painting today almost painted itself.  I wish they all went this smoothly!  There's a story behind it, as well. 

I subscribe to a fantastic photography blog called "Vanishing South Georgia".  The author Brian Brown, an architectural and documentary photographer, historian and author is amazing! In his travels around the state of Georgia he photographs old buildings, barns, houses, ...you name it.  He is seeking to preserve if only in a photograph a way of life that is vanishing as these old structures give way to nature or new construction. He truly captures the spirit of these places in his photographs and often writes the history about the place too. I find such beauty in the crumbling, weathered barns and homes that belong to my grandparents and great grandparents generation.  As well as all the little towns with the great storefronts and railroad depots on main street.  Please check out his blog at this link  http://vanishingsouthgeorgia.com/ and tell him I sent you.  

OK, so what does this have to do with my painting today?  Months ago, Brian posted a photo of a weather-beaten, boarded up old gas station with a bright graphic Gulf sign in front of it.  The combination of those two things and all that great rusty junk surrounding it just appealed to me. I had to paint it! I couldn't use Brian's copyrighted photo but lucky for me, the station just happened to be located in the same area that my father-in-law lives.  So I called him and had him go out and photograph it for me.  Months have passed and I just never have gotten an opportunity to paint it until today. 

I just love this painting!  Makes me smile.   It reminds me visiting my grandmother in the country and going to the country store to get an ice cold coke in the glass bottle and a pack of peanut butter crackers! Thanks Brian for the inspiration!

"bridging the gulf"
24" x 24" oil on canvas
©2013dottietleatherwood
September Sale Price $640
Click Here to View or Purchase

6 comments:

Maria Bennett Hock said...

makes me smile too!!! I love this one for many reasons not the least of which is the nostalgia. Good memories...great painting!

Kathy Cousart said...

Love it too! And just the kind of place we all would stop at and have a chat! Wonderful job on everything!

Judy Mackey said...

I like this piece - painting lost or fading icons is a wonderful way to preserve. Love the bright red.

Pati A said...

I absolutely love everything about this piece. The light, contrast and theme! Great job! :D
http://awapara.wordpress.com/

Sharlene Stushnov-Lee said...

Great painting. Love your composition!

Denise said...

This is beautiful, gorgeous colours too.