Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A New York State of Mind...... "fresh starts"

So here we are!  The first day of the new year has dawned all sparkly and full of promise for the days ahead.  Everything seems possible.  Time to start over, do better, make a difference.  Optimism with a capital "O"!

This post begins a 30 paintings in 30 days journey for me.  Thanks to my good friend and fabulous artist  Leslie Saeta, I get to start the year off with a the best of resolutions....painting and blogging about it each and every day.  I am painting New York City streetscapes all month.  In December, I asked my facebook friends to send me pictures to paint from and I will post the painting and the picture I used everyday.

My goal is to complete thirty paintings.  And if you know me, you know I hate to paint small so these will be mostly larger works.  I paint alla prima and like to complete a painting in one sitting, but I also like to go back in several days later and reassess things that aren't working or add more lights or darks.  This month is a challenge because for the most part, I won't have that luxury before you get to see the painting.  So it will be fresh from my easel to your computer screen every morning.  I'm sure some paintings will be better than others, but isn't that the way life is?  One day you are up, the next day... well, you know :)

So without further ado, here is my first painting.  What is more appropriate on New Years day than Times Square?  Fresh and ready to go.  Happy New Year!!

"fresh starts"
16" x 20" oil on gallery wrapped canvas
©2014dottietleatherwood

Make sure you sign up to get my blog by email so you don't miss any paintings this month!!

Here is the picture I used to paint from:

5 comments:

Linda Popple said...

Beautiful start! Looking forward to seeing more of NYC!

Cindy D. said...

Wonderful cityscape! Great color!

Diane Mannion said...

Looking forward to visiting NYC with you this month!

hmuxo said...

Beautiful painting, Dottie! Cityscapes for a month!!! I can't wait for the next one.

suzanneberry said...

Wonderful post and a beautiful painting! i love the spontaneous brush work and colors! i so want to be able to finish in one sitting, your work and post are an inspiration for me.thank you!