Thursday, January 23, 2014

"downtown, everything's waiting for you"

So here is the bigger version of the study that I posted this weekend.  I really liked this composition with all of the grays contrasted with the bright lights.  I did change a couple of things.  I eliminated the snow from the sidewalk.  I liked the texture but I thought it was too distracting.  I increased the color in some of the buildings on the left to balance out the strong brick color on the right and left out some of the details on the buildings because I thought they didn't add anything to the painting.  I posted the study at the bottom of this post so you could compare the two.  What do you think?

By the way, they are both for sale.  Oh, and you can guess what song was playing on Pandora when I was painting this can't you? :)

 "downtown everything's waiting for you"
36" x 36" oil on gallery wrapped canvas
©2014dottietleatherwood

Here is the study for the larger painting:

study for downtown
8" x 8" oil on panel
©2014dottietleatherwood

2 comments:

Jerry Stocks said...

I like all the changes and especially the additional color. Great work!!!

hmuxo said...

It's amazing Dottie, how two paintings with the same reference picture could look slightly different ...I love them both... The smaller version looks like a snowstorm and the bigger one looks sharper like it would look like after the storm...Beautiful work!!!