Friday, January 3, 2014

"east coast blues"

This painting seems appropriate today with the huge snowstorm blowing into the Northeast.  I had so much fun with this painting.  Playing with shapes and texture, obscuring forms and then pulling them out again.  I took a workshop with artist Jim Richards last fall and tried to apply what I learned with him.  I also wanted to see how little variation of color I could get away with and still have dimension.  I am really happy with how the painting turned out. The photo...not so much.  The sparkle of the painting just doesn't come through as well as I would like it to.

"east coast blues"
16" x 20" oil on gallery wrap canvas
©2014dottietleatherwood



2 comments:

hmuxo said...

Love the blues....excellent painting!

Anne Winthrop Cordin said...

Love the courage you show to undertake this challenge, especially with the size you like to paint.Look forward to following your progress!