Friday, January 10, 2014

"evening study"

I had a class yesterday with artist Curt Butler.  I have been wanting to study with him for some time and finally had a chance to make it work.  (I love his work and hope you will click on his name to check out his website). I just love being an art student!  Seeing painting with a fresh perspective is so necessary to grow and learn.  I can't wait to go back next week!

 I didn't get back to my studio until mid-afternoon so I painted this little study. I worked fairly quickly and stayed very loose.  I hope to do this painting much larger and wanted to try out some different color notes.
  
evening study
12" x 12" oil on gallery wrapped canvas
©2014dottietleatherwood

There was a lot of conversation yesterday on Facebook about doing painting challenges.  Some artists love them and some do not.  We are all as different as the art we create.  And that is what we should celebrate. We are artists and we recreate our vision of beauty.  Everyone has something to offer.  If you have been painting for years or if you have just started; if you paint everyday or once a month; if you paint small or large, fast or slow... everyone's art is relevant. The same lessons that apply to life, apply to art. It is still important to be kind and tolerant and never belittle others or the way they work.  We all need to think how our comments may affect others before we say them.  Our goal should be to uplift not discourage.
And that is the end of my sermon :)

3 comments:

AK said...

This is a lovely work. Love the loose style. Fabulous.

Kathy Cousart said...

Awesome painting and wonderful post! There's an opening at our church this coming Sunday:) Just kidding...well said and we all need to remember:) Good job!

JanettMarie said...

Nice sermon, thanks, my head/mind was messing with me, and I've not read the Facebook conversation. I'm doing it on my own!