Tuesday, April 15, 2014

a day of coloring...

 Guess what I did today?? Yes, your eyes are not playing tricks on you.  I got out my crayons and colored. (Actually, I had to go out and buy a pack of crayons)


You might be wondering why in the world I was using crayons. Tyler White/O'Brien Gallery is hosting an event called "Crayons Matter".  It is a charity that raises money to send backpacks filled with school supplies, including crayons, to children in Ghana.  They believe that no child should ever go without a pack of crayons. I would have to agree!  I bought my pack of crayons...just the 48 pack (although I was VERY tempted to get the 64 pack with the sharpener)  sat down on the floor and got to work!

Here are some progress shots of the lab.....as usual, I only took a couple! I get so involved in what I am doing I forget.  I did use colored pastel paper to have a background color established.
my initial drawing

starting to add some color

my finished crayon drawings

They took longer than I thought actually and let me tell you coloring is not for the weak.  Just getting the crayon to layer and fill in the crevices of the paper took a lot of elbow grease.  I'm actually more tired from coloring than I get from painting. :) But I'm happy with the way they turned out and I forgot just how much I like the way crayons smell.  

Crayons Matters event will be held on Saturday, May 10th, 2014 at Tyler White O'Brien Art Gallery from 6-9pm in Greensboro, NC.  If you live nearby I hope you will drop by and see all the crayon art from the gallery artists!

For more information on Crayon Matters here is the link to their website:  www.crayonsmatter.org


4 comments:

Kathy Cousart said...

That is awesome! What a special thing you did and both crayon drawings are little pieces of wonderful art! Good job!

hmuxo said...

This is amazing work with crayons, Dottie! This makes me want to buy a box!!!

martinealison said...

Un travail merveilleux avec les crayons... Je suis admirative.
Gros bisous

martinealison said...

Un travail merveilleux avec les crayons... Je suis admirative.
Gros bisous