Wednesday, April 23, 2014

"down a different track"

So, I think I have shared on this blog that I have been taking a class this year with artist Curt Butler.  I took classes for a year with Andy Braitman when I started painting three years ago.  I had so many questions and he helped corral my thoughts and gave me the confidence to head down my own path.  Last year, I painted on my own. No classes with the exception of a workshop late last year.  I felt like I needed to be on my own for a while.  Paint by myself and figure out where I wanted to go.  I feel like it is hard to do that sometimes in a classroom setting.  Too many voices, too much going on.  For me, I needed to just hear that voice in my head.  I really committed to the process and with few exceptions painted every day....7 days a week for 6-8 hours every day.

At the end of last year, I really felt like I had a rhythm going in my painting.  I had "me" on the canvas.  But also I had a better idea of what I felt like I needed to improve and things that I wanted some opinions on. So I committed to a once a week class with Curt Butler.  It has been fabulous! I love learning and Curt has already given me so many nuggets of wisdom to incorporate into my painting process.  New approaches, different ways of handling things.  Another big "truth" I have discovered:  You can get the most wonderful, important information in the world but until you are ready to "hear" it.... you can't take it in and use it.  You have to grow into it.  I am still growing into it all.

What I really enjoy about this class is the "stretching" that goes on.  Trying out different approaches and incorporating them into how you already do things.  Some of the paintings that I have done in class aren't good at all.  But I am trying to learn the concept and not necessarily end up with a finished painting.  Every once in a while, the concept and the painting click.  This is one of those that I am happy with.  On the surface it looks a lot different than what I usually paint.  But even though it seems much more abstract, it still has the things that I focus on: color, strong brushstrokes and most importantly pattern.  It still has "me" in it.

Here is the initial block in for the painting:

And here is the finished painting:
"down a different track"
30" x 40" oil on gallery wrapped canvas
©2014dottietleatherwood


2 comments:

martinealison said...

Bonjour chère amie,

Une très jolie peinture aux couleurs très harmonieuses.
J'aime comme vous vous confiez... Prendre des cours de peintures sont une choses, savoir décider qu'il faut les interrompre c'est aussi une bonne réflexion.
Gros bisous

Kathy Collins said...

No matter who you study with, YOU shine in all your works.