Tuesday, April 22, 2014

"summer days and cane poles"

When I was a child we used to go fishing. A lot.  Not just crabbing or fishing off the dock but get up at 4:30 in the morning, pack of cheese crackers and coke in a bottle for breakfast kind of fishing.  And cane poles. I didn't use a rod and reel until I was a teenager.  My dad taught me how to tie the line and string a cane pole when I was about 6 or 7.  And if you couldn't bait a hook then you didn't get to fish.  To this day, fishing to me brings back visions of a pond just before daybreak with the mist just inches above the water, whispering so we wouldn't scare the fish and watching for the cork to bob.  I still prefer fishing with a cane pole and crickets to worms :)
 
"summer days and cane poles"
24" x 30" oil on gallery wrap canvas
©2014dottietleatherwood

This painting is available at a new gallery for me, Magnolia Art Gallery in Greensboro, Georgia. It is such a lovely gallery and the owner Lynn Beazley Blair is just wonderful and so much fun.  If you are nearby and get a chance, I hope you will stop in and see all of the beautiful art she has to offer.

2 comments:

hmuxo said...

A FANTASTIC painting, Dottie! WOW!Wonderful colors and love the way you painted the water and those skin tones on their back!! LOVE it.!

Dave Casey said...

Reminds me of summers on grandpa's farm in Oklahoma. There are memories that make a person wish they could turn back time. This would be one of them.