Tuesday, May 27, 2014

weekend plein air.....

I took the holiday weekend off ...at least from my studio.  Well, I did paint Saturday morning for a couple of hours in my studio to finish up a painting but Sunday and Monday, I was definitely out of there!

I took the opportunity this weekend, in addition to spending time with my kids, to get out and paint plein air.  I paint a lot on location when I am on vacation or at special events at my gallery here in Charlotte.  I spend my painting hours in the studio working on larger works and it has been a goal of mine this year to get outside and paint more in and around Charlotte.  Plein air paintings just have a different feel to them.  Fresher, softer ....more about the mood of the place.

I spent Sunday morning driving around looking for a spot to paint.  I paint a lot of street scenes and I was looking for a rural spot to paint.  I am continually amazed at how big Charlotte has gotten.  What used to be "out in the country" is now suburban sprawl.  Neighborhoods and shopping centers are springing up like weeds in every direction.  I had to go much further than anticipated but found this little pond behind, yep you guessed it...a newly built shopping center. It was serene and peaceful though and just what I was looking for.

Two funny stories.  As soon as I stopped and parked my jeep, a family of geese started making a beeline from across the pond to where I was setting up.  They climbed out of the water, came over to my easel and checked me out.  After several minutes of waddling around talking to me about the fact I was not feeding them, they left in disgust.


The other story...there were decoy dogs that spun around, set up all around to discourage the geese. Every single time I caught one out of the corner of my eye, it would startle me! Must have happened twenty times.

Here are two of the paintings I finished at this location:
pond's edge
8" x 10" oil on panel
©2014dottietleatherwood

queen anne's lace
10" x 8" oil on panel
©2014dottietleatherwood

Yesterday, my son had baseball practice at of all places on Memorial Day...Independence Park.  Appropriate, huh?  I knew there was a great view of the Charlotte skyline from the bluff overlooking the baseball fields, so while he practiced... I painted.  Wonderful views...I will definitely go back when I have more time to paint there.  But I was pleased with what I was able to get down in a couple of hours time.
Memorial Day morning 
8" x 16" oil on panel
©2014dottietleatherwood

Don't forget... I have another artists' reception this Thursday at Sozo Gallery.  I would love to see you if you can make it!  Lots of fabulous art and wine and nibbles from Bonterra (fabulous!). Please be my guest!
Sozo Gallery presents PARTNERS Artists
Artists' Reception Thursday, May 29th 5:30-8:30
Sozo Gallery
214 Tryon, Hearst Plaza 
Charlotte, NC
in a show to benefit
Hospice & Palliative Care Charlotte Region
and 
HeartBright Foundation
Exhibition Dates:  May 8 - June 24

4 comments:

AK said...

I love this style. All these are fabulous.

Jerry Stocks said...

Wow, I love it all. A belated Happy Memorial Day.

hmuxo said...

These are all beautiful, Dottie!
I especially love Pond's Edge. I think it's so sad that we have to go further and further away to find these amazing spots... half the time we don't even need those malls that are popping out everywhere.... I love Memorial Day morning as well...!! I always enjoy your Cityscapes..

Sue Marrazzo said...

All are sweet!