Thursday, July 24, 2014

"above the treeline"

above the treeline
36" x 36" oil on gallery wrapped canvas
©2014dottietleatherwood

And whoosh....just like that I have left the beach for the mountains!  Actually just on my easel. (Although I did catch glimpses of the mountains on a trip last weekend).

I just finished two big paintings with mountains this week for one of my galleries.  I usually like to paint from sketches or studies that I have done on location.  I just feel like it gives me a better feel for the subject.  But since these were special requests and I had to have them done this week, I had to do something a little different.

I looked back through my photos to get some inspiration.  I am a fanatical photographer and take a camera everywhere.  I do have a lot of photos with mountains but none of them really spoke to me.  So I sat down and started sketching from my photos.  I pulled different ideas from different photos but both paintings are a compilation of different visual elements that I put together.  In other words.... these paintings are straight from my imagination!  It was a fun exercise!

I painted them both over a two day period.  I love to paint large but it is a lot of physical labor.  I had to ice my shoulder after I was done. But I am happy with the way they turned out so it was worth it!

I will post the second painting tomorrow.

2 comments:

hmuxo said...

A beautiful painting, Dottie. I love the light on the trees.. SO well done!!!

Jerry Stocks said...

Love how you repeated the blue from the mountains on the trees.