Sunday, August 31, 2014

September Sojourn: 30 Days of Painting Plein Air

Tomorrow begins a month long journey for me.  A painting, sojourn if you will.

Twice a year, I commit to painting one painting a day for 30 days. Even though I usually paint everyday throughout the year, I don't always have a painting to show for it at the end of the day.   Some days I work on several paintings and some days I scrape everything off the canvas in disgust. :)

I do this twice a year because I love a challenge.  Because I enjoy pushing myself towards what some days seems like an insurmountable goal.  Because I like to see what I'm made of.   Although some days are more successful than others and I'm usually exhausted by the end of the challenge, I always learn something from it.  Even if it's something as simple as perseverance.  

The month of September, I have chosen to paint plein air everyday.  I enjoy painting outside and the challenge of trying to capture on canvas what I see in front of me.  Trying to compose a painting while I am faced with endless possibilities of what to paint.  Trying to convey the feeling, the light and the spirit of a place while Mother Nature constantly changes the scene in front of me.  It is so hard and most of the time, I fail.  But those times that it works....there is nothing like it!  

So tomorrow I begin!  I will post every day and all of my little plein air studies will be for sale at a special price for the month of September.  

I hope you follow along on my journey and maybe see a little painting that speaks to you.



No comments: