Wednesday, September 10, 2014

September Sojourn: Day 10

I have a couple of paintings to post today. But first I wanted to let you know I may not be posting for the next four days.  I will be painting plein air though.  I am headed to Blue Ridge, GA for a Plein Air Paint Out with several artist friends.  I am so excited and can't wait to get there!  We will be taking a workshop with the fabulously talented artist, Jim Richards for two days and then painting the mountains and little town of Blue Ridge for the next two.  It is a competition and exhibition so I hope to paint something worthy of framing and entering.  We will see.  Nevertheless, I am just happy to be going.  I am going to try to blog and post my paintings everyday but I do know that cell reception is spotty at best and non existent in some places so I'm not sure how that will go. At the very least I will try to post my paintings on FB when I get a signal so you can keep up with me there.

I had class all morning yesterday and didn't get home until early afternoon.  I was also hosting supperclub for my friends last night which meant dinner and drinks for 12 to prepare, much less all that glamorous stuff like cleaning the bathrooms, etc to do.  Not much time for plein air!  However, it was a wonderful evening on my porch with some of my dearest "sistas" eating, drinking, laughing and catching up with each others lives.  By the time everyone left and all the dishes were done it was about 11:00.

Never one to let a challenge die easily, I figured I had a little time to get in a painting under the wire.  So with the candles flickering, my music still playing and the last glass of wine, I sat down to paint. A nocturne would have been nice but it was so dark outside there was nothing to see.  I painted the only thing I could see....the umbrella on my patio. :)  It is not a prize winner of a painting and I painted it in about 15 minutes, but it is plein air and I got it done so here you go:

On to the real painting for today!  This is a painting I did last week after I finished my painting for the day.  The pattern of light and shadows drew me to this scene.  It is my very overgrown and neglected garden which from far away actually looks nice....not so much, close up though!  


Here is a better view of the finished painting:

"late summer in the garden"
6" x 8" oil on panel - plein air study
©2014dottietleatherwood

If you don't want to miss a post this month..... please enter your email address in the upper right hand corner and you will receive all my blog posts in your email!

5 comments:

martine paquet said...

Promess of beautiful moments between friends.
I love your painting!

Kathy Collins said...

I think you tried to use every color in your paintbox on this relaxing scene in your garden. Just beautiful, Leslie II.

Jill Rae Finally Art / Jill Rae Martin-Golden said...

I love the colors...beautiful.

hmuxo said...

Sounds wonderful Dottie! Enjoy your plein air painting in Blue Ridge, GA.....!!!! Love this painting...

Jerry Stocks said...

Your colors are fabulous, and I love the way you handled the lights and dark. Great painting.