Thursday, September 18, 2014

September Sojourn: Day 18

I went out to a different park to paint yesterday and spotted these two guys fishing.  I wasn't sure if I could pull off a figurative painting in plein air but I just couldn't resist trying.


You can see from the photos that I was standing a good bit away from them which actually helped me just focus on the shapes and shadows and not get caught up in any detail.  The guy sitting on the bucket never moved...maybe he was asleep!  The other man did walk around a little while I was painting but thankfully went back to his favorite pose.  I was able to capture their basic shapes quickly in several strokes and then go back in and refine them. I added the simple background after I was finished with the figures.  What fun!


"waiting on a bite"
8" x 6" oil on panel - plein air study
©2014dottietleatherwood

If you don't want to miss a post this month..... please enter your email address in the upper right hand corner and you will receive all my blog posts in your email!



1 comment:

Stephanie Berry said...

So ambition painting like this each day. I like your fishermen. Your painting with the gnats is great!! That happened to me once and I left them...they were part of place.