Friday, September 19, 2014

September Sojourn: Day 19

Yesterday was a wonderfully foggy morning.  The kind that turns the distant trees that beautiful blue.  I knew exactly what I wanted to paint.  About a 20 minute drive from my house, there is this wonderful old barn in a huge field with a couple of old oaks around it and a line of trees in the distance.  I could already picture in my mind how cool it was going to look with the fog and mist around it. I was so excited!

I drive all the way out there, come up over the hill and look to my right to see just how awesome my painting was going to be and....... no barn.  no oak trees.  Instead there were bulldozers clearing away the debris of what used to be the barn and trees surrounding it.  You can insert a sad face here.

I was so bummed!  So I drove around for another 10 minutes looking for another barn but to no avail.  I finally stopped at the edge of a field that was quickly being taken back by nature and got out my easel.  The fog was starting to break by now but there was still plenty of atmosphere.  The longer I painted the more color I noticed in the layers of trees.  Golds and reds and purples were edging into the deep green summer landscape.


Like it or not, autumn is on its way.  The painting ended up being a bit of an abstract landscape but it is true to the impression of the setting that was in front of me.  Hope it takes you there too!

"a little early fall color"
6" x 8" oil on panel - plein air study
©2014dottietleatherwood

If you don't want to miss a post this month..... please enter your email address in the upper right hand corner and you will receive all my blog posts in your email!



No comments: