Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Beach Series continued...

I wanted to share two more paintings from my Beach Series.  These to paintings actually work as a diptych or can stand alone.

 It was a fun idea until I tried to put it in action. I quickly discovered, two 24x24 canvases will not sit on my easel at the same time! I think Santa needs to put a larger easel in my stocking this year.  I paint large most of the time and it is a struggle sometimes to keep really wide canvases from wobbling. I ended up using a clamp to secure the canvases together as one as you can see below:



And here they are separately:
"salty afternoon air"
24" x 24" oil on gallery wrap canvas
©2014dottietleatherwood


"some beach somewhere"
24" x 24" oil on gallery wrap canvas
©2014dottietleatherwood



I think they work equally well together or apart.  I love the turquoise umbrella in the first one and the beach bags in the second.  Once again, it was so much fun to see how the figures appeared as I worked... and how little detail I could get away with and still have them read as people.  In the end, you can almost imagine the conversations they are having!

2 comments:

hmuxo said...

Wonderful series, Dottie. My eyes go all over the canvas with all the details...nice work!!

Jerry Stocks said...

I love both paintings, apart and together. You really captured the essence of the beach.