Thursday, January 15, 2015

"a southern convocation" ...Day 15

I have reached the halfway point in this month's challenge.  It has been a journey so far.  Lots of thinking and assembling of objects, then standing back and reassembling and painting them.  Then there is the explaining to you of why I chose to paint what I did.  I have discovered that I am rather long-winded in my explanations.  No matter how hard I try to limit my thoughts to several sentences, they keep spilling out and rambling all over the place.  I cannot repress my storytelling gene. :)

Today's painting is a grouping of objects that don't seem related at first glance. But individually they trigger so many memories for me and they connect some of the dots in my childhood.

My grandmother lived up in the country in southeastern Georgia.  It is a land of pine trees and agriculture.  You still see cotton fields around, but no where near as many as there used to be.  I think the fields are beautiful with the puffs of cotton in a sea of golden brown  But the beauty is a beast.   My dad picked cotton, like so many other boys his age did that lived in the country.  Awfully hard, back breaking, finger pricking work.  Every time we passed a cotton field my dad would say it sent a shiver down his spine and gave him a backache just to look at it.

Wild blackberries were everywhere on my grandmother's land.  I always ate way more than I brought back to make a pie.  Once when we were kids picking blackberries, instead of putting the berries in the bucket we had....my brother put them all in his pockets.  Let's just say the top part of him was a whole different color than the bottom part of him.

Pecan trees (yes, I grew up pronouncing them PEE-cans not pa-cans) were plentiful.  My dad always had a bowl of them sitting near his chair to snack on.  He never tired of them.  I love them best just like that...straight out of the shell.  I still have my grandmother's old wooden cracker.  It got a lot of use through the years.

This was such a fun little painting to paint. A lot of different textures to pull together and I love the bold red as the backdrop because it's not what you would expect.  Just like the objects assembled.

"a southern convocation"
8" x 16" oil on gallery wrapped canvas
©2015dottietleatherwood

2 comments:

Sue Marrazzo said...

NICE work! I LOVE the RED!

martinealison said...

Bonsoir chère amie,

J'aime beaucoup cette composition et les mots qui l'accompagnent sont remplis d'émotions et de sensibilité qui sans aucun doute transpirent dans cette belle oeuvre.

Gros bisous ♡