Thursday, January 1, 2015

Day 1..."lucky ingredients"

Happy New Year!  I am excited to kick off 2015 with a painting.  And tomorrow another one and the next day another and so on, each and every day of January!  Welcome to my 30 Paintings in 30 Days!

I am painting a "southern" still life each and every day.  Technically they are my still lifes and I am southern.  Each will be something that I grew up with or is still a part of my life today.  Who I am and what I treasure.  Memories and moments.  I hope you enjoy these little glimpses of my life.

So here we are at Day 1. New Years Day.  And this has painting below captures a snippet of something that has been a part of my life ever since I can remember.  Traditional New Years Day food! I pulled out the ingredients for my dinner today and painted them.  A very southern meal and soooo good.  (The only thing missing in the painting is the cornbread....haven't made that yet!)

I may add or subtract to the meal every year but I never, ever change the two essential parts of it.... I am very superstitious that way! It can make or break your year. In case you aren't familiar, you eat  black eyed peas and rice to bring you luck and collard greens for money.  Delicious to eat and so much fun to paint!

I hope you have a wonderful New Years Day doing exactly what makes you happy and this year brings you happiness and peace and all the good things in life :) Cheers!

"lucky ingredients"
8" x 8" oil on panel
©2015dottietleatherwood
SOLD

6 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

I love how you took two such "ordinary" southern ingredients and made them into such a lovely painting!!! It will be such fun to follow this challenge, but I can already see I will be at the computer for a long time every day. lol Have a Happy 2015!

SamDoum said...

Beautiful, Dotti! I love the softness of this painting and it was a great idea to use the New Year as a subject matter for your painting. Love it!

30daystopaintinspiration said...

Love the colors...the orange background and reflection in the bowl. Just love looking at this painting. Great job!

Chris Lally said...

What a yummy painting!! Love it!

Fay Terry said...

What a great painting, Dottie! This is exactly what we had for dinner last night, too. It's something I never miss having on New Year's.

Sandy Sandy said...

Great theme and painting, Dottie! Black-eyed peas and collard green hugh?!