Monday, January 5, 2015

"off to a sweet start" ...Day 5

A box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts appeared on our countertop over the Christmas holidays.  Not all that unusual, although my kids would certainly like them to appear more often than they do.  But this box looked different than the usual box.  It had this great retro holiday design that reminded me of my childhood. I have had more than my share of Krispy Kreme doughnuts in my life.  I still love them, especially the glazed ones, still warm from the oven.

When I was growing up, I went to work with my dad every Saturday.  He owned a dry-cleaners and had to get there first to get the boiler going and all the machinery warmed up.  That meant we left the house early, about 5:00 am.  I'm not going to lie to you, I hated it.  Getting up at 4:30 and not getting back home until 4 or 5:00 in the afternoon was not how I wanted to spend my Saturday.  Not at all.

But my dad had a strong work ethic and wanted me to learn responsibility and that having things meant working hard for them, even when you didn't feel like it.  I didn't really get a choice in the matter.  To ease the pain, he would stop at Krispy Kreme on the way in to work and let me pick out a dozen doughnuts.  Back then, I would pick out the creme filled, jelly filled, chocolate...you name it. The sweeter the better.  And then we would get a second dozen, just glazed.

I can still go back in my mind and see us there.  Darker than dark outside and it felt like we were the only ones in the world awake until we opened the door of Krispy Kreme.  Inside, the fluorescent lights would be so bright it would make my eyes hurt.  The few tables would be crowded with people eating, drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes. There was always a line which would make my dad grumpily threaten that this would be the last time we would come.  I knew I better be ready with my order before my dad ran out of patience and just got the glazed box.

When we got to the laundry, I would pour myself a big cup of coffee with about 10 teaspoons of sugar and eat one of my doughnuts before I moved on to the warm glazed ones that were always so much better.  My dad would join me and we'd share a few moments together talking before the work day got going.  I think back now about how unhappy I was to be there then.  But now that my dad is gone, I wouldn't take anything for those glazed donuts, lessons learned and time together.

I love the retro feel of this little painting.  I used the top of the box as the backdrop and was happy the way it worked with the art deco silver coffee carafe and mug. Hope your week is "off to a sweet start"!

"off to a sweet start"
10" x 8" oil on panel
©2015dottietleatherwood

2 comments:

JanettMarie said...

Thanks for sharing Dottie. Nice painting AND thanks for bringing back memories of my dad and I too leaving the house at 5AM on Saturday mornings to go to work!

Laurel Lovrek said...

A charming story and a cozy painting.

I started following your blog with the 30 in 30 of Jan 14. I was delighted to later learn from the AHA site that you are in Charlotte.

It's always great to know the artists that are "nearby"it makes things more personal. I am near Mt Mitchell.

I was touched by your New Year's meal painting. I had my first Southern celebration and learned the symbolic meaning of the foods.