Thursday, January 29, 2015

"old 45s" ...Day 29

Some of my earliest memories are of music.  My dad, who I'm sure knew plenty of songs, was always belting out the lines at the top of his lungs to only a select few over and over,  Bye Bye Blackbird, Uncloudy Day and If You've Got The Money, I've Got The Time.  My grandfather loved his big band music and I learned to appreciate everyone from Sinatra to Glen Miller's Orchestra by sitting with my ear to the speakers of his great big stereo or dancing to them standing on the tops of his shoes.  We grew up listening to everyone from Elvis to Willie Nelson to Queen.  The 60's and 70's were the years of the variety show and I spent many hours watching Andy Williams, Sonny & Cher, Glenn Campbell,  the Osmonds and the Jacksons, Tony Orlando & Dawn ...you name it, everyone had a show.  And that's not even including all the Christmas shows!

The painting today is of my mother's old record player and one of her 45's...."Love Me Tender" by Elvis Presley.  In 1956, when my mother was in high school, her family moved from Savannah to Memphis.  They immediately went to Elvis's house and dug up grass out of the front yard, put it in envelopes and sent it back to all their friends in Savannah.  My cousins and I grew up hearing all the stories from my mother & her sisters of Elvis's legendary parties.

I still remember my first record player.  I got it when I was six or seven. It was green and white and was a take along ...it had it's own suitcase!  I got it for Christmas along with a 45 record of "Santa looks a lot like Daddy".... kind of a bad pick for a Christmas gift for a little kid!  But I don't think our parents thought a lot about that back in the day :)

Oh, and the pink zebra stripe paper in this painting...that's a homage to the jungle room of course!

"old 45s"
10" x 8" oil on linen panel
©2015dottietleatherwood



1 comment:

hmuxo said...

This is definitely a favorite, Dotty! I probably still have some 45's and 78's somewhere!!
as for the bad pick for your Christmas gift...with all the excitement of the Holiday...things like that went over our heads! again, thanks for the memories..