Monday, January 19, 2015

"prelude to the hunt" ...Day 19

First things first.  I don't hunt, never have.  I'm the crazy person that does catch and release with spiders in my house.  I could never shoot anything but a target.  But I grew up with plenty of people that hunted and still know plenty of people who do.  And you can't paint about the south if you don't include hunting.  Too long of a tradition.

My dad grew up in the 30's.  He would get on the back of a mule, still so young that his legs didn't hang down but stuck straight out, and go into the woods to try and shoot a squirrel or a rabbit for dinner.  That was part of life for so many people in the south. Livestock was precious and only killed for special occasions, hunting was a way to put meat on the table.

This was a really fun painting to paint.  Lots of reflective surfaces and so much color and pattern....from intense to subtle. I also never knew that shotgun shells came in so many colors!  Wildlife and Sporting art is a huge segment of the art market.  The SEWE (Southeast Wildlife Exposition) is next month in Charleston, SC.  It's a pretty big deal.  For a glimpse at a few wonderful wildlife artists Click Here.

"prelude to the hunt"
8" x 8" oil on canvas panel
©2015dottietleatherwood




1 comment:

Sue Marrazzo said...

NICE mood and colors!