Sunday, January 11, 2015

"sentimental sidekicks" ...Day 11

So everyone knows that Coca Cola was developed in Georgia, but did you know that RC Cola was too? I think we have a love affair with sugar in the south that goes waaaaay back.

I'm not sure if RC Cola is even made anymore but you could find it easily in the 60's and 70's.  In glass bottles, too which is by far the best way to enjoy any cola product.  And where I am from we called everything coke, whether it was Coca Cola, Pepsi, RC, Sprite, Orange.... you name it.  Didn't matter the color or flavor, it was all a "coke".  If I was going to the store to get a beverage, I would ask you what kind of "coke" you wanted. :)  I can remember getting RC Cola at country stores, in one of those chest coolers filled with ice.  And using the bottle opener that was on the side of the cooler to open it. 

And the Moonpie, mmmmmm.  Chocolate, cookie and marshmallow filling. Perfect trifecta of goodness.   The one I painted below is a double decker moonpie....as if one story of a moonpie isn't enough.  My dad always said a coke and a moonpie was a poor man's lunch.  Not sure I would want that for lunch. But for a snack an ice cold "coke" and a moonpie (warmed up in the microwave just enough to soften the chocolate and make it messy) sure would be good right now.

This series was inspired by my favorite magazine, Garden & Gun.  For a recipe for a homemade Moonpie from them Click Here. 

sentimental sidekicks
12" x 6" oil on linen panel
©2015dottietleatherwood


No comments: