Tuesday, January 6, 2015

"simply divine" ...Day 6

Divine but simple.  An old earthenware crock and a well used rolling pin.  A glass bottle of cold buttermilk.  Fresh creamery butter and a tall glass jar of cane syrup.  Where am I going with this?  Biscuits, of course.  And real biscuits...not the kind that come in a can.

That delectable basic southern staple that is so simple but so versatile.  Dress it up for brunch or appetizer or dress it down for breakfast.  It works overtime in the south.

They aren't as easy to make as you'd think though.  Handle the dough too much and they're tough.  They can go crumbly on you or get too doughy.  I know, I've messed up plenty of batches.  My mother can stir up biscuits blindfolded and they turn out wonderful. She's the only person I know that can just make two biscuits instead of a panful.  I don't make them often enough to do it well.  It's probably a good thing.... I would end up looking like a biscuit if I did.

My favorite way to eat them is buttered and sopped (that might be a southern thing too...it means dipped but more like drenched) in cane syrup.  Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.  :)

simply divine
9" x 12" oil on panel
©2015dottietleatherwood

4 comments:

Marion said...

Dottie, our favorite restaurant is Chef & the Farmer in Kinston, NC. Vivian creates a show on PBS called "A Chef's Life" where she features southern specialties. One episode in Season One is all about biscuits. You should check the show & restaurant out. It was worth the drive from Cincinnati when we were supposed to be heading to Marci Island, FL! Love your painting!

Barbara said...

Love the painting that celebrates one of the best things around!

hmuxo said...

This is beautifully painted, Dottie. I Love how you painted the silver bowl.

martinealison said...

Bonjour chère amie,

J'aime beaucoup cette composition si vivante où la lumière très gourmande vient parcimonieusement prendre part à la scène. De très belles nuances de couleurs.

Gros bisous ♡