Saturday, January 10, 2015

"sipping the sweet stuff" ... Day 10

There's tea, and then there's sweet tea.  Growing up, we always had a pitcher of it in the refrigerator.  In fact, along with a pot of rice and cinnamon toast, sweet tea was one of the first things I learned to make.  Smart move on my mother's part.  When you drink for breakfast, lunch and dinner..... you are making it all the time!

I like my tea the same way I like my coffee. Strong.  No weak, watery stuff.   And I prefer my sweet tea without lemon.  But I think I'm probably in the minority on that one.  In the summertime when fresh mint is growing like a weed all over the place, I do like to add that to my tea.  Somehow the addition of mint cools you off even more on a hot summer day.  And ice.  You need lots of ice.  I'm not a crushed ice fan for my sweet tea... it waters it down too much.

Sweetening the tea is an art. Too sweet and it is sickening.  Let the tea cool off too much and you can't get it sweet enough.  And sugar.  No artificial sweeteners.  Only the real stuff will do.  Preferably Dixie Crystals sugar.  My grandmother made wonderful tea but as she got older, the tea got sweeter with each passing year.  I'm guessing she couldn't taste the sugar as well, so she just kept adding more.  To this day when my family is together and we get a glass of overly sweet tea, we call it "Noni tea". 

Bet you didn't know it was possible to have so many opinions on something so simple. :)  In the south we love our tea so much, there is even Sweet Tea Vodka for cocktails.  And click here for a recipe for Sweet Tea Granita in Garden & Gun.   I think my work here is done.

"sipping the sweet stuff"
8" x 8" oil on canvas
©2015dottietleatherwood


No comments: