Wednesday, January 7, 2015

"tea and cake" ...Day 7

Tea and cake on a Sunday afternoon.  Both my grandmother's were fond of an afternoon cup of tea and a thick slice of pound cake.  I've always been game for any dessert anytime it's offered.  They never had to talk me into it.

Pound cake is just one of those classic desserts that is the perfect combination of simple and decadent.  Butter, sugar, eggs and flour with a little vanilla or lemon extract thrown in.  Doesn't get much easier than that.  So wonderful and rich. But believe it or not, I grew up putting a pat of butter on top of a slice of pound cake and toasting it in the oven.  As if it wasn't already loaded with butter! It's still my favorite way to eat it...especially for breakfast. :)

And can we talk about the crust on top?  If you've ever made a homemade poundcake, you know that they have the most wonderful, crunchy golden crust on top.  (must be all that butter and sugar!) At my house, we fight over the piece with the best crust.  Many years ago at a family gathering when I was a kid,  my little brother and my youngest cousin sneaked into the kitchen and ate all of the crust off of the top of my grandmother's freshly baked pound cake.  I very rarely remember my grandmother ever losing her temper but when she took the cover off of the cake plate and saw what they had done, we all ran for cover.

I found this little cup and plate set years ago.  They are a creamy white with a decorative silver edge. Very girly.  I loved the blue striped paper and the way the cup and plate reflected so many colors.  As I was painting the sun was streaming through the window giving everything a wonderful glow.  It was such fun to paint.

"tea and cake"
8" x 10" oil on panel
©2015dottietleatherwood

3 comments:

Sue Marrazzo said...

This is so NICE! I like the subject and your style!
Good Luck with the next painting!

Susan Williamson said...

I love how the background pattern brings everything together!

SamDoum said...

Yum! Beautiful painting, Dotti!