Tuesday, January 27, 2015

"teacup camellia" ....Day 27

When I was thinking through the paintings that I wanted to do for this series, this little one came to mind.  Growing up, I always remember seeing one single cut blossom floating in a teacup on the countertop.  Usually it was a camellia blossom or another heavy flower that would droop in a vase.  (Magnolia blossoms were another thing that would be displayed this way, although it was always in a bowl not a teacup:)  I always thought it gave the blossom such importance to display it this way, but yet looked so dainty and so very southern.  I still do this with my flowers, reminds me of both of my grandmothers.

I have been waiting all month for a blossom to paint.  While most of my camellias bloom in November and December, I have a couple of camellias that always bloom in January and early February.  But not this year.  The buds are still closed up tight.  I think the extreme cold we had a couple of weeks ago must be to blame.  So this is a borrowed bloom.  One of my friends hand delivered it to me a couple of days ago.  Takes a village to get this done :)

"teacup camellia"
8" x 8" oil on canvas panel
©2015dottietleatherwood

------------------------------------------------
If you have ever wanted to learn to paint or would like to dust off your brushes, I hope you will sign up for my class.  I am teaching a great weekly class painting from life starting next month:
Day: Wednesday's 9:30-11:30am

Where: Butler Studio Rm.301A

Dates: February 18,25 March 4,11

Price: $200 with materials 
for more information or to sign up click this link:  Butler Studio