Monday, January 12, 2015

"the cure-all" ...Day 12

So, 'tis the season for colds and flu.  We had our bout with it over the Christmas holidays.  In fact, this week has been the first week that I have felt good.  I was determined to wait out my sinus infection and not go to the doctor.  I hate taking antibiotics!  It took longer than I hoped but it finally went away.

One of my nightly rituals for a cold, cough, sinus or just that "achy-I-don't-feel-good" feeling is a hot toddy.  Bourbon, honey, lemon & hot tea.  Eases the pain and helps you sleep.  And if you have a cough, a shot of bourbon, lemon juice and honey right before bed soothes your throat and keeps the coughing away for a while.  

I'm not sure if it's a southern thing or not but it's one of those traditional home remedies that my mom used, and her mom before her, and I'm sure it keeps going back in time.  Cure's what ails you, as they say. :)

I loved painting the honeycomb, although it was harder than I thought.  We used to get honeycomb in our honey jar as kids but you just don't see them that much anymore.  Honey has become so generic now, not local like it used to be.  If you can find local honey, I encourage you to buy it.  So much better than what you buy in the grocery store.  Thanks to my friend, Ruth at Renfrow Farms for finding me one to paint.  

"the cure-all"
8" x 10" oil on linen panel
©2015dottietleatherwood

1 comment:

Jerry Stocks said...

All your food paintings have been spectacular. I especially love this one, because I got caught in the rain while walking my dog this morning. I walked up on a friend's porch to wait out the storm, and she invited me in for a cup of tea with honey in it. And after we had had a good visit, she drove me home. Friends and honey are special as are your paintings.