Monday, February 16, 2015

"complete enchantment" ...taking to the sky

I've been stuck on skies lately.  I'm not sure why.  With the leaves gone and the landscape bare and brown, I guess I'm looking up for inspiration.

I'm also back painting large works.  I need to start back building up my inventory of large paintings after a couple of months off painting small.

This painting actually started out as an iPhone photo messaged to me by my son.  He was on a skiing trip and snapped a gem out the window of the car. It was a picture of the sunrise over the ridgeline of the mountains in the distance.   I was working on another painting in the studio at the time he sent it to me but immediately put that one away and did a little 6"x 6"study of the picture.


I liked the simplicity of the study and decided to go larger and with a horizontal format.  Sometimes I get stuck doing a lot of squares because I like the shape too much.  I felt like a horizontal would give me more room to play with the clouds.  I loved their diagonal movement and layering.  

Here is the finished painting.  It totally derailed my painting plans for the day but in painting, as in life, sometimes you just got to follow your heart.

"complete enchantment"
30" x 48" oil on gallery wrapped canvas
©2015dottietleatherwood


No comments: