Thursday, March 26, 2015

"California dreaming" and "windswept"

Every morning I usually "warm up" with a small study.  Just to clear out the cobwebs and focus on my painting and sort of pull away from all the crazy going on in my life.

I have been warming up lately with some studies of the California coastline.  I have a week long trip planned in April to paint on the California coast and attend the Plein Air Convention.  I'm going with four of my closest painting friends and we have had this trip planned for about 9 months.   To say I am excited is an understatement. :)

I have been several times before to the Monterey/Carmel area and have lots of watercolor sketches that I'm using and thousands of photo references.  Although the same basic painting principles apply, I have found through experience that painting different areas of the country than what I am used to always takes a little more thought.  Everything from the lay of the land, the colors and even the light can be different.  Painting outdoors is always a challenge especially some place new.  So I've been going back and trying to get a feel for the area again before I head out there so I can eliminate some of the initial frustration and relax and paint.

Here are two studies that I have done that are for sale on Daily Paintworks if you are interested:

"windswept"
8" x 10" oil on linen panel
©2015dottietleatherwood


"California dreaming"
9" x 12" oil on linen panel
©2015dottietleatherwood


2 comments:

Chris Lally said...

These paintings are just beautiful! The Plein Air Convention & Expo is on my bucket list. Hope to read lots about it when you return. Safe trip - happy painting!

hmuxo said...

Two beautiful paintings....love California Dreaming!