Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Snow in the South...

Taking a little break in the sky series to post some plein air paintings that I did during our recent "snowstorm" in Charlotte.  I say that with a smile, because we were buried under a slight several inches of snow, which believe it or not, shuts down life here.  School closes, we load up on groceries and hunker down while watching the skies.  Predictions for much larger accumulations didn't hold true and we only ended up with a little.  But it was enough for me to get my yearly fix of painting outside in the snow.  Cold, to be sure but such great fun.

Here are two that I did that first day.  You can see the grass in this first one as the snow melts away.  I love the pattern of the branches against the trees in the background and that sweet snow icing on them.

"branching out"
9" x 12" oil on panel
©2015dottietleatherwood


These are two old chairs against a low wall and the snow covering them just reminded of frosting on a cake.  Love the white snow against the grays and greens of the old wood and that little zigzag path created by the melting snow.

"February frosting"
8" x 10" oil on panel
©2015dottietleatherwood

No comments: