Saturday, July 18, 2015

A Finish! ... "stormy with a chance of sun"

Yesterday on my blog,  I posted a picture of a painting that I had blocked in and hoped to finish.  This one:

Remember? The clouds with the dog face in them.  Although, when I asked my husband he thought he saw a cow. Cow? And my studio mate thought he saw a lamb.  So funny!

I worked on it all afternoon yesterday.  Really clouds are such fun to paint.  The problem is that the more you play with them, the more they keep transforming.  It is hard to know when to stop.  I had several variations in shape, color and form that I liked as I was painting them.  First lighter, then darker and then I settled on the one that was somewhere in the middle.  Just like Goldilocks :)

This might be one of my new favorites.  I like the way the light changes from one side to the other and the rain off in the distance.  I have to finish a cityscape tomorrow but I am sooooo tempted to start another cloud painting.  Stay tuned to see if I can resist!

Here is the finished painting:

"stormy with a chance of sun"
36" x 36" oil on canvas
©2015dottietleatherwood



2 comments:

Chris Lally said...

Beautiful painting - love the drama!

Kathy Collins said...

In the block-in version, I see a crocodile face on the left side in the dark clouds. He crawled out before you finished this beautiful painting!