Monday, September 14, 2015

30 Days ...Day 14

I left the studio early today to go paint outside.  What a beautiful day it was!  In the 70's, sunny, with no humidity.  Just perfect.

I headed to this great park not far from my studio.  It has a lovely little creek running through it.  The only challenge is climbing down the steep embankment to get to it.  Especially when you are wearing flip flops.  But I've never let that stop me before, so I said a little prayer and made it safely down to the rock ledge right above the water.

I had the perfect spot in the shade, or so I thought.  I had been painting about 15 minutes when I realized my shady spot was about to be a sunny spot.  Unfortunately, I was pretty much in the only flat spot to put my easel so I made the best of it.  I had to face the sun to keep my painting in the shade.  Every time that happens, I always have to adjust my values when I get the painting home.  It's either that or paint with sunglasses on... and that option doesn't really work either.

So while I am happy enough with this one and the other one I did that I will post tomorrow, they both are a little washed out and need some touch ups to get the values to read.

"on the rocks"
8" x 10" oil on panel
©2015dottietleatherwood

3 comments:

Sandy Sandy said...

Great job, flip flops and all!

Gayle said...

Love the way you captured the river rocks and swirling water! So inspiring.

martinealison said...

Bonjour chère amie,

Vous êtes très courageuse de peindre en plein soleil...
J'aime beaucoup cette magnifique peinture. J'ai l'impression d'entendre le glouglou de ce ruisseau.
Vos rochers sont somptueux et l'harmonie des couleurs sublime.
Bravo !

Gros bisous ♡