Tuesday, September 1, 2015

30 Plein Air Paintings in 30 Days ...Day 1

It's September and you know what that means.  30 Paintings in 30 Days.  I do this every January and September and it is a great lesson in discipline. I paint pretty much every day, year round.  Painting is my happy place.  I lose track of time, worries disappear and I am at peace.  I also paint everyday to get better, to work on things that I need to learn and learn new things that I want to figure out.

Today is Day 1.  Every time I do this challenge, I have a theme.  I like to learn something different or concentrate on something that I want to improve.  I'll be painting plein air all month like last September but with a little twist.  When Leslie Saeta and I interviewed Anne Blair Brown last month on the AHA show, she talked about painting from her visual memory.  The ability to look at a scene and paint what she remembers.  That intrigued me.  So I will be painting plein air but with my easel facing away from what I am painting for at least part of the time.

I'm thinking that this is going to be a real challenge.  Plein air is hard enough.  Looking over my shoulder every so often to get glimpses of what I'm painting, scares the heck out of me but I would love to be able to remember a scene in greater detail and for a longer period of time than just a few minutes.  I also think it might help to eliminate my tendency to render too much.  We shall see!


Here is my painting for Day 1.  I painted it early this morning on my back porch, just as the sun was rising.  A pot of geraniums.  I turned my easel so that I had to look over my shoulder to study it.  I can't say it was easy.  But I did remember more than I thought I would.  Colors were easy.  The structure of the plant...not so much.

cascade of pink
7"x5" oil on panel
©2015dottietleatherwood

1 comment:

hmuxo said...

Wow! this is really beautiful, Dottie. The flowers as well as the pot! My geraniums are in full blossom...Now if I only knew how to paint flowers...lol