Wednesday, September 30, 2015

And that's a wrap ...Day 30

A plein air painting everyday for the month of September, that is what I set out to do 29 days ago.  A lot of friends, both artists and non-artists think I am crazy for doing it.  Sometimes, especially about the third week,  I think I'm crazy for doing it.  I started this 30 in 30 thing several years ago when an artist friend, Leslie Saeta, came up with the idea and asked me to participate.  Leslie has been one of my mentors since I first started painting so if she thinks its a good idea, I usually try it.

For the record,  I think this is my 6th time doing this.  It is crazy sometimes and almost impossible to fit into my day.  And sometimes, I don't give it the full attention that it deserves because I am strapped for time or have too many other obligations.  Some days, I feel like I am drowning. And no, they don't all sell and some aren't even for sale.  But sales, although when they happen I am thrilled, aren't the reason I do it anyway.

I do it for the challenge.  I do it to stretch myself.  I do it to push myself and make myself uncomfortable.  I don't think any of us do that enough.  Push ourselves to grow.  Expect more of ourselves than we are sure we can do. Life and all the big and little things that go with it, take up our valuable learning time.  We all have obligations but I think we let them take over our lives and give ourselves up in the process.  I have found that there is always time to grow.  Even with the exhaustion of work and home and kids and parents.  Get up early, stay up late, whatever it takes.  Every time I do this it reminds me that I can do this.  That I am still up for the challenge and have the drive to push myself.  The passion to see it through.

And the blogging.  It helps too.  I don't think this would work as well without it.  It forces me to explain myself, my choices, my successes and my failures.  Sometimes I think that if I didn't blog, I wouldn't really know why I do what I do.  I start typing and my thoughts come tumbling out and I even surprise myself with them.  It keeps me both motivated and humble.

Thank you again for sharing this month long journey with me.  I know it's exhausting to do this and I'm sure it's exhausting to watch it happen day after day.  So thanks for sticking with me.  Again.

Here is my last little plein air painting of the month.   Did I mention it is still raining here?  Not sure it is ever going to stop.   I'm thinking of using the unsold paintings this month to build an ark. :)

"solo act"
8" x6" oil on panel
©2015dottietleatherwood

3 comments:

Nancy Darling Handler said...

hanks Dottie. Well said; you pricked my lazy conscience.

Sue Marrazzo said...

NICE work! Great Challenge.

Jan F. said...

This is quite beautiful, Dottie.