Thursday, December 31, 2015

beginnings and endings...


"beginnings and endings"
24" x 30" oil on gallery wrap
©2015dottietleatherwood

This is an appropriate painting today for both the weather, my thoughts and New Year's Eve.  I have my fingers crossed that after nothing but rain for days and days and days on end that it will be ending soon.  According to the latest forecast the rain will end at 2:45 today.  I sure am hoping that they are right on target with that forecast.

I love the little sliver of light hitting the ground and illuminating the grass in this painting.  It stands out among the moody sky and the foggy, misty surroundings.  Just like life (and the weather), sometimes all we need is that little glimmer of hope to give us the optimism to keep going.

I believe there is always that light at the end of the tunnel.  Always that silver lining.  Even though at times, it can be so hard to find.  I lost a friend this week to cancer.  She worked at the middle school that all three of my children attended.  With three children that are two years apart, you can only imagine how long I was involved with PTO at that school.  She worked in the office and always had a bright beautiful smile for me when I came in.  We soon became friends and I always looked forward to seeing her.  She was such a beautiful woman with a wonderful sense of humor and never failed to make me laugh.  She was a radiant light and inspired so many along her journey.  Even though she has left this world behind, her light.... her glimmer is still there.   That is the both the beauty and the tragedy of life.   Beginnings and endings.

And so it is with this year.  Today is the last day of 2015.  For me, it has been a wonderful year to be an artist.  So many doors have opened that I never anticipated.  I have been working so hard these last four years and this year I have seen the groundwork and all the long hours start to pay off.  I look forward to next year and the surprises and opportunities that it may bring.  I know that there will be clouds but the sun is always waiting behind them.  A glimmer of light.  I just have to have faith.

Here's to us and the new year ahead.  May there be more beginnings than endings and more sun than rain.  And when the clouds roll in, like they always do, may the glimmer get us through.  Happy New Year!
___________________________________________________________

I will be teaching a plein air workshop in Edisto Island, SC in March.  If one of your New Year's resolutions is to learn to paint plein air or just paint better, come join me!  We will paint, learn, laugh and have fun.  Click Here for more information! Edisto Island Plein Air Workshop

No comments: