Thursday, December 17, 2015

Mossy Rocks

It is raining buckets here today, but yesterday was a beautiful day to paint ....70 degrees and sunshine.  I couldn't stay in the studio.

I headed to one of my favorite spots, little creek near my studio.  I just love the challenge of painting the rocks and water.  Each time I paint there, I learn something new.  And not just how to climb up and down the steep bank without killing myself either.

This time I focused on the rocks and not so much the stream.  I forgot my hat and had to face the sun the whole time so that my painting and palette would be in the shade.  I'd like to go back and paint the same scene again and try to catch more of the subtleties in color changes in the rocks that were hard to see because of the glare.  But I am happy enough with the composition of this one and how I simplified the shapes of the rocks.   Just enough information, but not too much.  I also liked the little tree growing in a spot between the rocks.  Takes perseverance to do that.  Just like painting plein air.


You can tell that the sun was starting to get lower in the sky by the golden cast reflected on to my plein air setup.  Here is a better view of the finished painting.

 "mossy rocks"
8" x 10" oil on panel
©2015dottietleatherwood

No comments: