Sunday, January 10, 2016

"clinging to a cloud" ...Day 10

Beautiful moody, morning to paint.  That is if you like mist and fog.  I'm definitely a sunshine kind of girl but if it's going to be cloudy then give me a little atmosphere to make it all worthwhile.  This morning started out that way.  I spotted this church on the way to my son's basketball game and loved the way the white of the steeple almost disappeared into the sky.  After the game, I made a beeline back to the church to paint it.

Architecture is difficult to paint.  Lines, angles proportion and perspective.  I actually kind of love the challenge.  It's about as mathematical as I get these days.  On a 5x7 canvas it is really a challenge.  The shapes in the painting are so small, you have to be spot on or it is glaringly inaccurate.  I had to use my left hand to steady my right so I could get them straight.  Not to mention, in addition to the mist, the temperature was in the 40's so my hands were a little cold.

A great challenge for me and a nice little painting for a Sunday morning.
"clinging to a cloud"
7" x 5" oil on panel
©2016dottietleatherwood

___________________________________________________________

I will be teaching a plein air workshop in Edisto Island, SC in March.  If one of your New Year's resolutions is to learn to paint plein air or just paint better, come join me!  We will paint, learn, laugh and have fun.  Click Here for more information! Edisto Island Plein Air Workshop


1 comment:

Chris Lally said...

Nothing mathematical about this! It's just beautiful!!