Wednesday, January 13, 2016

"ivy and bare branches" ...Day 13

What a gorgeous day to paint today!  But COLD.  The temperature wasn't that bad but the wind was blowing and that made it seem much colder than it really was.
There is a group of plein air artists that paint weekly in Charlotte and I join them as often as I can.  Today we painted at a park not far from my studio.  I wandered around through the wooded area looking for a sunny spot to stand in so I wouldn't freeze.  The sky was such a bright blue that it almost hurt to look at it. There were some fabulous trees with what I think of as "halloween branches".  You know, the spooky trees in all the halloween shows.  Lots of personality!  I picked a couple of trees that were close together because I liked the differences between them. One was very spare and had lots of arching and twirling branches and the other was covered in ivy.  They made such a nice combination.
I have to tell you about my favorite new plein air toy.  It is a brush holder that clips to my easel.  It looks like a giant chip clip with two cylinders that hold brushes.  It has eliminated my need for a side tray to hold my brushes and palette knife.  You can see it a little closer in the picture on the right.  Anything that makes the job easier makes it more enjoyable!  If you would like to order one here is the link: Brush Clip 
I will be teaching a plein air workshop at Edisto Island, SC in March.  If one of your New Year's Resolutions is to learn to paint plein air or just learn to paint better and enjoy it more, come join me!  We will paint, learn, laugh and have so much fun.  for more informationClick  Here  for more information! Edisto Island Plein Air Workshop


"ivy and bare branches"
7" x 5" oil on panel
©2016dottietleatherwood
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OR PURCHASE

No comments: