Thursday, January 7, 2016

"solace" ...Day 7

It's the water that gets me.  Pulls me in every time.  I didn't set out to paint water today. But somehow I found myself beside a creek while I was riding around looking for a spot to paint.  I had a tumultuous morning before I headed to the studio. I just felt drained, wiped out from it.  I think that's why I ended up at the creek.  Water gives me peace.  The movement and the sound of the water helps to drown out my thoughts and eases me into the painting.

It was a cold afternoon but the sun was out and with a coat on it actually was a wonderful day to paint.  As I was looking around this little tree caught my eye.  It was leaning over the stream and had so much personality.  When I started painting the sun was still high but by the time I had blocked in the basic shapes the sun was lighting up the branches beautifully.

I thought I would have time for another painting but I keep forgetting just how fast the sun sets in the winter.  I will be glad when the days start getting longer.  In fact, by the time I got home it was already dark and I wasn't able to photograph the painting.   I had to wait until morning.


"solace"
7" x 5" oil on panel
©2016dottietleatherwood
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OR PURCHASE

___________________________________________________________

I will be teaching a plein air workshop in Edisto Island, SC in March.  If one of your New Year's resolutions is to learn to paint plein air or just paint better, come join me!  We will paint, learn, laugh and have fun.  Click Here for more information! Edisto Island Plein Air Workshop





1 comment:

Chris Lally said...

Beautiful writing - beautiful painting!