Saturday, January 2, 2016

"uptown view"

I love the challenge of painting skylines.  It's like painting building blocks but "real" building blocks. And on a cloudy day, it's even more challenging.  Each one taking on the gray of the sky in a slightly different variation. It is so tempting to alter them....make them "pretty".  But a much better exercise  is to try and capture them just as they are.  For me, "pretty" is for later, back in my studio...using my plein air study but doing something a little different with it.  When I am outside, I like to try and capture the color and atmosphere of what I am really seeing.  Be in the moment.
I am trying harder to do more of that this year.  I am always thinking ahead, planning or consumed with a painting that is giving me problems that I am constantly distracted.   Just going through the motions of everyday life.  There are whole conversations that I don't remember having with my friends and family.  When I have a brush in my hand, I am totally in the moment.  Everything else in life falls away.  I want to try and be that same way in all of my "non-painting" hours too.  It's going to be a challenge :)

"uptown view"
7" x 5" oil on panel
©2016dottietleatherwood

___________________________________________________________

I will be teaching a plein air workshop in Edisto Island, SC in March.  If one of your New Year's resolutions is to learn to paint plein air or just paint better, come join me!  We will paint, learn, laugh and have fun.  Click Here for more information! Edisto Island Plein Air Workshop

2 comments:

Sue Grilli said...

Dottie - I love the abstract feel that this painting has. thanks for sharing

Marcela Strasdas said...

That is so true, "when I have a brush in hand I live in the moment".... For me, it's like the world stops when I am painting, no matter how worried I may have been about something or anxious about something in the future, while I paint, all those things disappear! Thank you for sharing! I love the softness of your palette in this painting. :)